The guiding principles of the members of GBMA are:
- To support the long term sustainability of the PBS by ensuring the timely and cost effective provision of Generic Medicines to consumers.
- To support the quality use of medicines (QUM) in partnership with other stakeholders.
- To support the development of policies that facilitate timely access to Generic Medicines for all Australians.
- To support the development of policies that promote the continued viability of a local manufacturing base for Generic Medicines (for domestic and export markets).
- To encourage a high level of awareness and general knowledge of the safety, efficacy and appropriate interchangeability of Generic Medicines amongst Healthcare Professionals, Government and Consumers.
- To support balanced intellectual property rights in the pharmaceutical sector that enable timely, cost effective access to Generic Medicines.
- To enhance the accountability of Members by establishing a complaints handling mechanism that is both readily accessible and transparent.
- To reduce actual and potential conflicts of interest between Members and Healthcare Professionals responsible for prescribing and dispensing prescription medicines by establishing an Educational Event reporting procedure with independent review.