The guiding principles of the members of GBMA are:
- To support the long term sustainability of the PBS by ensuring the timely and cost effective provision of generic and biosimilar medicines to consumers.
- To support the quality use of medicines (QUM) in partnership with other stakeholders.
- To support the development of policies that facilitate timely access to generic and biosimilar medicines for all Australians.
- To support the development of policies that promote the continued viability of a local manufacturing base for generic and biosimilar medicines (for domestic and export markets).
- To encourage a high level of awareness and general knowledge of the safety, efficacy and appropriate interchangeability of generic medicines amongst healthcare professionals, Government and consumers.
- To support balanced intellectual property rights in the pharmaceutical sector that enable timely, cost effective access to generic and biosimilar medicines.
- To enhance the accountability of Members by establishing a complaints handling mechanism that is both readily accessible and transparent.